Thursday, October 28, 2010

Giving in

Sometimes you just have to give in to the urge to work something through - even if the timing couldn't be worse!  In the last few days I've been struggling with the ongoing paint job at the house (enough said), listing on Etsy, making some custom orders and helping the kids finish their Halloween costumes (required for school tomorrow).  I swore I would not help them this year, but somehow last night I helped my son make a matador hat and today I have to finish the edges of a bird costume that my daughter has almost finished.  She is actually becoming quite handy with a sewing machine - an essential life skill in my little world...

When those serendipitous things happen in your work, it is such a gift that you should just accept it and work with it instead of struggling.  Sometime ago I bought a set of metallic paints to use with polymer, but every time I tried them the result was so disappointingly garish that I would throw all the results away and curse my inability to resist temptation in art supply stores.

These new beads came about as a result of using up scrap bits of transfers and putting them onto the surface of my hollow beads.  It occurred to me that this might be a good way to use metallic, because there is some movement in the action of applying the metallic tile to the bead which removes the static quality of painted metallic.  It's this quality that I think I've identified as being the one I dislike.

It started late one night (after cleanup) with this set of beads -



You can see the tile and the random texture I used to fill the intervening spaces - nature abhors a vacuum and so, apparently, do I!

Then a couple of days later I dragged out the metallic paints...do you ever have an idea you think is great and might work but you are almost afraid to try it because  you will be so disappointed when it doesn't work?  That mindset, that's how it was...this little fellow popped  up because stripes are on my mind.


I liked the fact that the metallic paint was visible, starting to break up, and married well with the texture.  So then these followed, all  taking little tiny steps towards other ideas.






I do like the painterly landscape quality of this particular set.  What's fun is learning to control the degree of spread of the tiles, and you do have a LOT of control - which I like.

This is the last one so far -


It has a quietness about it because the metallic is buried under translucent. Just one of the literally hundreds of possible variations for this technique.  I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a tutorial on this technique, or if it is just my current enthusiasm that is making me a little blind here?  Do let me know!

Sorry for the long post - if I could discover how to put photos side by side on Blogger I would be a happy woman!  I think I must be missing something very obvious...

26 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

I don't mind the photos. These beads are gorgeous. I love their painterly quality.

As an aside... I use Picasa (free) and it has a great collage feature that I use quite a bit to get all my pictures lined up just so.

Enjoy the day!
Erin

Doreen said...

I like all the photos. It's great to see the beads close up. Picasa is nice for making a collage, but it also makes each picture more difficult to see as the size will be reduced in your post.

These beads look great! I too purchased a whole (expensive) slew of metallic paints which I haven't used much because they look garish. I was also worried about the paint coming off of the clay. I would be interested in a tutorial. Maybe a tutorial would bring my long lost muse back to me :) :)

Mª Reyes said...

Son unos trabajos magníficos. Besos

Kristi Bowman said...

I love them all!! And I'd love to see a tutorial, can never learn too many techniques. I like the photos but as others have mention Picasa would probably work for you. I just downloaded it a few weeks ago.

Pretty Things said...

Those are AMAZING!

Claire Maunsell said...

Thanks Erin and Doreen for suggesting Picasa. I use it every day to edit stuff for Etsy, but never investigated the other features it offers!

Doreen, do keep working, please! Your post made me a little sad...

Doreen said...

Noooooo! Don't be sad! My muse always runs off...she'll be back!

Christine Damm said...

These are SO great, Claire! I especially love how you describe your process, that is the best part. We love the result but how you got there, that you're willing to share that-- that's the real gift! I just started to use translucent to "capture" metallic powders in the clay-- I really hate to paint sealers on. Great stuff-- keep going, I want to see more!

Davinia said...

I'm new to your blog and fairly new to polymer clay, just love the beads and a tutorial sounds like a fabulous idea.

Lejonklou said...

Those beads look gorgeous Claire !!
and I am very fond of my new wheel beads from You :)
soon they will be used for earrings ....I think...

Janice said...

I love what you're doing with these beads. They have such a wonderful painterly effect!

As far as the pictures, I also like them large. But if you ever want to put them side by side, what I do is put the cursor to the left, upload the photo, and resize it to small. Then put your cursor to the top right corner of that photo. Upload another, and resize to small. If it doesn't end up next to that photo but ends up below it, put your cursor to the top left of that one and backspace. That being said, I do find I still end up deleting photos and having to bring them back in!

Anonymous said...

I love them and would be very interested in a tutorial! regards, nt

Caren Goodrich said...

love these! Yes to a tutorial!

aims said...

Count me in on the tutorial please! These beads are so stunning and I love the story of your techniques and reasons behind all of them.

Anonymous said...

a tutorial would be awesome! Your beads are so beautiful!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Really beautiful effects! The translucent tones down the bright metallics perfectly and gives them an ancient time worn look. Isn't it wonderful when one idea leads to another with such spectacular results?! So glad I found you today, via PCD. Your work is a breath of fresh air!

Gera Scott Chandler said...

Gorgeous! Orgasmic organics!!
(OOPS! Am I allowed to say that?)

cheers!
gera

jeanette mistress of longears said...

Yes - a tutorial please! love your use of texture with the color!

slkunze said...

These beads are wonderful. I'd love a tutorial!

Debras Dezinez said...

I would love to do this ! I love , love , love them !! Please do a tutorial I would so love to leran how to fo this ! Truly beautiful and it's just my kind of taste!
Just another clay junkie to another from Bakersfield CA,
Happy Claying !

Shelley said...

Absolutely stunning beads. Would LOVE to see a tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Oh My yes! I would definitely love to learn how to use the things I have purchased in the art dept. and ended up gathering dust in the plastic carry alls. I get so frustrated without results. I hope you will leave a post for all of us to see for a tutorial!!

Tejae: Heart Shaped Art said...

these are simply wonderful. I agree with you about the metallic paint. you have successfully conquered it's limitations! :)

tejae

Dieverdog said...

I love the texture and colors - I would also love a tutorial to see how you make these. Very inspiring. It would be interesting to see how you end up using them with other beads in combination. I will eagerly hope for and await the tutorial!

Gianna said...

Agree with Gera (LOL) your beads really do something for me! I love the effects you're getting with the metallic paint & trans. - a tutorial would be fantastic! Please? Oh - you mentioned the photos...I actually like them as they are (large, easy to see.)
Thank you, love your blog!
Gianna

angela mcdougall said...

i would love a tutorial on this! pllllllllease!

angela