Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What planet was I on?

I love it when people comment on my blog.  Especially, I might add, when it alerts me to problems I didn’t even know I had!

A wonderful blogger from Australia took the time recently to tell me that it was impossible for her to leave a comment ( the comment box wasn’t visible) and perhaps I didn’t know?  I didn’t!  I had wondered why I had received so few comments, but then found that there were some funny issues that had developed with the new template I was using.  After fixing those problems, I received another letter from my blogger friend telling me that she used Microsoft Live Writer to help her format her blog posts quickly and easily – this after I had complained to her about how difficult it was to put photos where you wanted them in your blog posts.  Honestly, I can’t count the minutes ( and possibly hours) I’ve spent trying to wrestle with Blogger formatting. Perhaps some of you out there have struggled with this as well – perhaps I’m just lame and didn’t notice this program.  Whatever the case, I had never heard it mentioned until my hero Davinia mentioned it.  You must check out her blog – she’s funny, enthusiastic, generous, talented, and has great fun and results with polymer!  Check her out here:  Deez News

For me at least, there are 2 big advantages to using Live Writer.  The first is the easy placement and sizing of photos.  The second advantage is that what you see in Live Writer is what gets published.  I mention this in italics because the first time you use it, you might be fooled – when you ‘migrate’ your blog post to Blogger, the formatting appears to change and the photos get moved around and it generally looks dreadful.  Do not be fooled!  Preview your post on Blogger and check it – all will be exactly as it appeared on Live Writer!  Magic!

Photos are easily resized by clicking the image and pulling the arrow on the corner.  You don’t have to upload them as on Blogger, you just open them straight from your computer. Mine always disappeared on Blogger after I uploaded them, which I really hated!  You can choose frames for them, and you can do so much more that I’m slowly discovering…


microsoft live writer screen


The above is a screen shot of the main screen....

Below are  the possibilites open to you while inserting a picture…… note that there is an option to place your image within text!  I’ve seen people asking about watermarks for their images and they are right there as an option.


microsoft live writer screen.jpg1


Davinia wanted me to warn you that Live Writer works best with Vista and Windows 7 – Windows XP does not support the latest version of Live Writer perfectly.  Placement of images is not perfect in XP.  She says, though, that it is still better than wrestling with Blogger. 

SO, there it is – ease of blogging, finally.  Maybe Microsoft can help me with composition now...

10 comments:

Kristi Bowman said...

Oh Claire, this is priceless information. I've never heard of it either and I too have struggled mightily with Blogger doing goofy things with my pictures. I'm going to give it a try and share this blog post!

Davinia said...

Glad I could help Claire. Yes XP which I have doesn't support the latest version of Live Writer but the older version it is still so much easier to use than blogger. I would almost have a panic attack each time I sat down to write a post in blogger knowing something would always go wrong and not having the ability to fix it. i.e photos disappearing, text becoming highlighted as if it was a link and a myriad of other annoying problems. I'm trying to justify a new computer with Windows 7 just so I can have the latest version.

jenna said...

I'm definitely going to try this. I just tried to download it and found out it's already on my computer!

stregata said...

Thanks for the tip, Claire! Always good to know these things.

Roberta said...

I really dislike the new blogger template. I was able to revert to the old one temporarily. But still. Why do they have to always change things on us. Bah. Thanks for the good info. I am on an old MAC though so I don't think Livewriter will work for me.

TesoriTrovati said...

Intriguing... I will look into that! Thank you for sharing!
Enjoy the day.
Erin

Cara Jane said...

Thanks for the tip!

Violette Laporte said...

Thank you for that Claire. I just tried it and it it works. I was getting frustrated with blogger! And now that there is also a learning curve, I will be more enthusiastic.

anvilartifacts said...

not only inspiring wearable art but blogging tips as well! thank you thank you! A visual feast and help with the ever perplexing blogger! yeehaw!

Stories They Tell said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I just spent three days trying to get Blogger to post my blog entry-- total frustration! I even called my provider to complain about the upload time. With Live Writer I just completed it in 20 minutes! Blogger has really shot themselves in the foot with this Google purchase. I'm Sooooo ready to switch to Typepad or WordPress. But I just had 100 business cards made up! I needed a reason to justify the purchase of Windows 7 and now I have it. Next, an upgrade of my template (but I'll wait until I switch to Typepad). Thanks again, Claire!