Friday, December 3, 2010

Ingredients of a challenge

It's not hard to challenge me, I do find lots of stuff difficult.  Lately, though, putting jewelry together has been the hardest thing of all, as I seem to have momentarily lost my eye for what works.  Sadly.  But when Erin from Treasures found put out a color chip challenge, it seemed like a good springboard to gently launch myself in the right direction!  All well and good if you don't leave things to the LAST day, but I digress...

I asked her to give me colors that I'm not always unconsciously gravitating towards and she sent me these:

Working feverishly this morning I mixed these colors in clay:


At least these colors are in the ball park!  The green I mixed is actually greener than this,  it's a  rotten shot...
Then these jumped into the picture:


I started rolling out a hollow tube with the four colours in it and later, much later, I had my hollow collar... It's difficult to photograph , so I indulged myself by making a mosaic with many, many (too many) details!  Oh well, it's really the only way to show that I actually used all four colors and melded them discreetly with the judicious use of gold and black.  (Everyone looks good in black,  gold maybe not so much...)  It has an interesting amount of strength and flexibility.

Now I'm going to cheat and use words from 3 of the colors I was given to name it.  As I look at the details and the colors, a lot of great veldt herd animal horns and colorations spring to mind so, of course, Africa has to be there...here, then, is the 'African Getaway Collar'!



Of course, if I had to do it again, I'd do something a little different.  But that, my friends, is the beauty of a challenge like this!  No pressure ( except my nemesis, time) to make production or list it or sell it.  It doesn't have to be successful or even practical!  Just a big jump into something you've never done before....with colors you usually ignore.

Thanks, Erin!  Now I'm going to treat myself and go look at the other leaps...
Please, everyone check them out!

16 comments:

Imaginative Jewelry said...

Your necklace is gorgeous! May I ask how it's attached? I see no clasp and just love it!
The details were nice, since they are not appreciated in the big picture.

TesoriTrovati said...

Goodness but that is one incredible collar! I am a big fan of the last minute. If it weren't for that I would never get anything done! But to know that you created this fabulously inventive piece at the last possible second is so screamingly mad! I am very impressed. Thank you so much for playing along with me. I hope that this gives you direction for when your creative well runs dry. And I hope you will consider hopping with me in the future! Thank you for sharing your color with the world.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Elisabeth said...

Beautiful!

rosebud101 said...

Very nice job! I love the beads you made for the necklace. I think you did an excellent job!

Off the Beadin' Path said...

Your piece is astonishing! Just so different and I love the African look, a favorite of mine, but I never achieved anything like this! also like your approach, just jump in and learn. No pressure - It may turn out to be a showpiece, but whatever, it's a great experience! This looks like art gallery work to me!

rockcreekcreations said...

I really really like your necklace! But I'm having a hard time figuring out what the band is made of. Are you willing to share your secret?

Claire Maunsell said...

To answer your question - the necklace has no clasp! It is plenty large enough to slip over your head and because it is somewhat rigid it would be difficult to do a toggle clasp. I was thinking of hidden magnetic clasp, but couldn't find my rare earth magnets at the last minute. Oh, I have to cure myself of this last minute thing....

Claire Maunsell said...

Rockcreekcreations, it's no secret - the band is a hollow polymer tube. The fact that it's constructioh is hollow gives it a greater ability to flex slightly, and I also mix in a little bit of liquid polymer and flex polymer (a different formula) to help with this..

Pretty Things said...

VERY clever! I know NOTHING about clay so am always amazed by those that can do anything with it. I LOVE to work with it (as a finished bead/product), though. NEAT necklace!

I LOVE color! said...

Mixing color in clay can be a chalenge but have done it. I am such a great time hopping from blog to blog. This is my first chalenge.
Be Blessed

SandysColoringBox.blogspot.com

Releases by Rufydoof said...

Ohhh I love your colour palette you lucky thing! I love what you have created - gorgeous colours... well done!

Karyn
Australia

Heather Powers said...

wow these are awesome and wonderfuly organic!

maryharding said...

Goprgeous. Simple and very original.

Artisan Clay said...

Fabulous! I like your style!

BooBeads said...

I'm a last minute girl myself! When the pressure is on I seem to be more productive.

I think you did a wonderful job in pulling those colors together!

Christine Damm said...

That is fabulous! I just bought some flex clay but haven't used it yet-- now I am inspired! I love your use of those colors like that-- typically you but just a bit different!