Friday, July 6, 2012

Old friends/new friends

Seeing Van Gogh up close....and meeting a new/old friend in the flesh.  What could be better?
The Internet is a strange classroom where friendships spring up and thrive in surprising ways.  You find yourself writing about purely personal things to people you've never actually met, and finding great satisfaction and comfort from this. Although, I have to say, I do tend to keep the personal stuff out of my actual blog, so neither I or my readers have to get squirmy reading it, and so my children don't have to kill me later....others bloggers understand how to write about their personal lives and I enjoy reading them:  I don't  do the personal well, unless it has to do with the progress of my polymer work.  Then, it's fair game, and I'm a little more relaxed with it.
 
                                                              Seascape #3 necklace
                                                                 jibby and juna,  Seascape #3 necklace
 
But last week polymer became more personal when I had an opportunity to meet Genevieve Williamson of jibby and juna, an artist I've admired for more than 3 years and with whom I've been corresponding for almost as long  (I just looked back at our 78 Etsy conversations about everything under the sun....).  Finding that the Van Gogh exhibition was sold out in Philadelphia, she and her family decided to visit the show's next stop at the National Gallery in Ottawa. I am so happy they decided to come here!  It was the first time they had been to Ottawa and there is lots to see and do.  Both of our families saw and enjoyed the Van Gogh exhibition.   I was surprised that I so enjoyed the IMAX film that was on at the same time.  There were many, many close-ups of his work.  These were exquisitely lit so that it was easier to see the texture- the swirls, hills and valleys of Van Gogh's frenzied brushstrokes.
 
                                                                        Image 1
                                                                        Carved ring
I think that if it is at all possible, the kids and I will be paying them a visit in Pennsylvania!  A wonderful family!   The only thing Genevieve and I would have enjoyed more is to talk endlessly about polymer and get playing with it together.  But you can't do that to your long-suffering family, can you?  My kids suffer my obsessions enough, I think.
 
                             Atlas earrings                                       Carved pods
                             Atlas drop earrings                                                                                 Carved pods
 
Obviously, I’m including some photos of Genevieve's work.   I'm thinking that most of you who read my blog regularly already know her work, but on the off chance that you don't, take some time to study her serene and timeless constructions.  These images are just a tiny dip from the jibby and juna bucket……And anyway, great work can never be enjoyed too often, can it?
 
 
                                          Sediment bracelet
                                           Jibby and juna     Sediment Bracelet
 
 
                                                    Echo necklace
                                                      Jibby and juna       Echo necklace  (click on the picture to see more about this lovely…)
 
 
                                   
Back tommorow with news of a shop update…
Claire                          

3 comments:

Anvil Artifacts said...

Wonderful post, Claire. I can relate. Yeah, we don't want the kids mortified, eh? Hahaha
Thank you for sharing. Both of you ladies are extremely talented.
Do tell, what book will you be in?

Mags said...

Jibby and Juna is the blog I am looking at for a while now the same as yours, both of you are talented people who have ability to inspire others! I like your fearlesnes and experiments, sometimes the best things happen by accidents but it is a great deal to know how to control those accidents :))

artybecca said...

I just love her Sediment bracelet. It is so cool! I have seen the picture before and you're right, I don't get tired of looking at it. For some reason, I always feel like it's a treasure found in an abandoned house from the 1800s. A pretty ivory tile bracelet that's just been waiting patiently to be found again...