Friday, January 22, 2010

Narrowing the field

I have a ton of half-finished projects sitting on my work table and there is nothing new or startling about this (sadly).  When I try something new - which, in the case of polymer clay, is everything  - I usually get to a stage with the object where I must put it aside so that I can see it later with fresh eyes.  This is the stage where my emotional (gut) brain is saying 'this is great, oh I love it' or 'I can't believe this is so appalling, so awful, did I really make this?'  Both are usually inaccurate - hence the 'waiting period'.  I'm curious to know if other makers do this or if they proceed confidently and majestically to the finish!

But with all this stuff lying around I can't help but notice that paint and surface colorants figure hugely in my way of working.  MUST I put paint on everything?  (Also, must purple and green ooze their way into it all - but that's another problem set entirely).  I challenge myself to do something with just polymer and to post it on this blog to (potentially) let some other eyes critique it.  I challenge myself to acomplish this one thing....by 2 weeks from now.

I think this pendant is my starting point.

3 comments:

missficklemedia.com said...

Yeah, me too. I have to have those fresh eyes with everything new.

Re your paint, it totally drew me in. Something about the way you apply it makes it seem alive. Thriving. It is so good, so artfully applied, that you could take a section of one of your clay works, enlarge it, print it on canvas and that in itself would be a collectible piece of art. I would hang it with pride and feel fulfilled whenever I looked at it. Seriously and without needless flattery; I love your paint application.

Jenn said...

Yes, definitely, I have waiting periods. Usually they start as "ugh" and I put it away for a while, then take it out, and go..."huh...now why didn't I like that?"

But, starting over (as in a new medium of polymer), I find myself becoming more critical and wanting more perfection sooner. I'm happy with the next level of progression, but ever more critical of the finishing points. It took me six months to get to passable with lampwork. I've only been doing polymer for a month and am much more critical about "good work" (aka salable).

Mary Anne said...

ooh,,it's nice to know I'm not the only one..seems like 100's of unfinished creations..waiting for 'fresh eyes' on my bench and now crawling somehow into the kitchen...
Please keep using all that paint!! and the purples and greens..:)
Your previous comment about being rather snobby about tools,really stayed with me..think I've learnt something.Need to buy GOOD tools..