Friday, January 29, 2010

Not letting go (when you should)

I can be very lazy.  Especially about housework.
But when I get obsessed with solving a problem, it's amazing how many hours can disappear.
I had a problem with transfers onto my hollow beads that almost sent me to the edge.  My normal finishing techniques were causing the tranferred image to disolve and blur.  Strange to say, it worked perfectly the first time I did it and I thought I was on to something.  I was soon to discover that it was only the old phenomenon of 'beginner's luck'.  When I used to teach beginner's glass-blowing classes, I quickly learned never to say "Oh, don't even bother trying that -it'll never work!"  Because it often DOES work - for beginners only!
Of course, I was in denial, so I was persistent.  After some very frustrating time, this is what emerged:

This is the beginner's luck effortless without-even-trying version:




This is after a lot of experimenting and oaths:


The images are marginally clearer and I was going for a faded distressed kind of look...but of course, now I'm going to fully investigate transfer methods.  Hello, my new Donna Kato book (to me surely, the Queen of transfer expertise)!  To be continued..

And yes, I should have let go of this problem and tried another time.   Never think you can make something until you've made it a lot and know the pitfalls.

4 comments:

Genevieve said...

Is it that you are lazy with housework or just that it seems a lot more important (interesting?) to grapple with the transfer method then to vacuum. It does! Its just true! I struggle with this issue OFTEN.
My experience with transfers has been similar (mind you, I'm just working on flat white polymer). The first two are beautiful...and I haven't succeed since. I am considering trying another method (I been using t shirt transfer paper.)

Claire Maunsell said...

YES! More important for my mental heatlth, definitely.
I need a transfer method where I can bend and manipulate the clay after it is on there and I didn't really want to get into LazerTrans paper which is expensive. I have been using my Inkjet printer to print onto cooking parchment paper. Having looked at Donna Kato's book, I think I will have to try colour toner copier and the rub-off method. But it's a little tedious...ah well, said I was lazy, didn't I?

Jenn said...

I always had the same "beginners luck" in glass. I could get a technique the first try, but not for the next 100. Practice, practice, practice. Sometimes I'd just have to stop because it was annoying the heck out of me. Then I'd let my subconscious wrestle with it until it clicked and then I'd "get it" again...

I'm too new in polymer to comment...

missficklemedia.com said...

These are really cool!
I had a lot of trouble applying transfers to bead shapes, these turned out awesome, though!