Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Come and gone

March break ( which started for us on the 26th of February) has come and gone and it seems that winter is going with it.  We only really had one snow storm so the cross country ski season ended last weekend - almost a month early for Quebec!  In keeping with this whirlwind arrival of spring (once we get rid of the disgusting gravelly snowbanks) my mind and work is also dashing from here to there and possibly forging ahead and also hitting brick walls.  I have to keep reminding myself of the exhilaration of learning a new medium which carries with it the down side of temporary defeat.  Usually, when your ideas get ahead of your skills...

I titled this post to remind myself to enter more stuff in my sketchbook, because the ideas seem to just multiply and then as quickly disappear until something reminds me.  More orderly exploration is needed - for me, anyway.

Here are a few things I'm working on at the moment:  the exploration of transfers continues - it's a process that is fraught with moments that can wreck your whole piece, but for some reason, I like it.  I don't cover them with paint, either!  I like playing with the images before the transfer process, gives me a sense of (dubious) mastery over the computer.
Things I have painfully learned:  Dark transfers are exceedingly tricky and always work with very warm soft polymer...


In a moment of insanity, I joined the Ring-A-Day pool on Flickr.  There are so many interesting ideas there, I just had to be part of it.  Never mind that it is becoming the ring-a-month pool for me...  I'm going in this kind of massive stone-like direction with this.


And lastly, I'm working on new nested or nestled pendants which are beads which fit together - hoping to list a couple of these on Etsy this week.


I realize that this kind of work starts when I try to put my own beads together and I can see the findings and connections - I hate that!  Soon I'm going to have to buy some copper clay and make my own custom findings.  Yet another thing to master...



3 comments:

Tammy and Rob said...

What beautiful work you have Claire! I happened upon your blog via Doreen and am looking forward to returning to see more!

missficklemedia.com said...

Awesome! The image tubes (sorry, not sure what to call them!) are magnificent.

I want so badly to work with copper clay! It has come down to me and a kiln standing in my way.

Claire Maunsell said...

Psst! I have the kiln - come and visit! (Leftovers of a glass career, dontcha know!)