Thursday, April 15, 2010

Finishing up

I did find a lot of abandoned work in my studio cleanup last week.  This week I was given an incentive to finish some of it.  My daughter plays violin in a small community orchestra ( the creation of her violin teacher) and I was asked to put forward some of my work to sell there after the concert.  Even knowing that I won't sell any/much of it was not a deterrent, so I used it as an excuse to face up to my pendant anxiety.

Pendants and I are not friends:  I see others creating beautiful pendants, well proportioned, lovely to hold, wonderful colour and design, a joy to wear, design following form and so on, but mine never seem to work out.  And that's really sad because if ever a material was made for pendants, it's polymer.  Perhaps that is the problem - you can do too much!  Too many choices...

I took my half finished work and dealt with it, and it does feel good.  I'm still weighing up the results, but in general, I 'm pleased.  There is definitely a fine line with pendants about too big and too small:  definitely easy to swing over the line in either direction.  But probably you just need to find the right person to wear a particular one.  I like pendants to be the kind of jewelry you sling around your neck and wear all the time and come to love because you play with them and warm them in your hand and forget you have them on...I've lost a couple of my favourites that way when the string broke (because I wore them so much) and I didn't even notice.




 And a disc one I'm not so sure about:
And my current fave because I like both sides (doesn't always happen...):




Sorry about the boring layout here - I have great difficulty in placing photos where I want them.  There must be an easier way but that would involve research and I only have time for polymer at the moment.

And it's good to remember that there is no shame in taking a while to finish something.  Finishing  is the hardest part of almost any process.

4 comments:

Doreen said...

I like these! I think you do pendants very well. My favorite is the fourth one down...I like the form and the colors very much!

Flowermouse Design said...

Oh Claire,
I can´t understand that you´re thinking that your pendants isn´t "right". I love your work and your pendants are so special. Think about what you actually are making with PC. I would love to learn that!! So be proud of your own style. After all, if we all made the same it would be pretty boring...

missficklemedia.com said...

I love them! Especially the first one!

Christine Damm said...

Taking a while to finish something is, in my humble opinion, the best time spent in the studio. You have time to think of other ways the piece could have evolved, so it's useful for that. But it's also a way to enjoy your piece, to enjoy the "artplay", to bask in the feeling of creating something that has never existed before, instead of rushing to put it up on Etsy and never see it again! I love your pendants!