Saturday, May 8, 2010

Small victories

I fell off the map there - sorry about that!  The whole family fell into an abyss of sickness (unusual for us) from which we have now mostly recovered.  It does so sap your will to do anything when you have a cough and a fever...

I have had so many ideas that my head has been ready to burst!  Some have hit the rework pile almost immediately because of lack of technical know how, or lack of will, but it is nice to know they are waiting in the sketchbook.  Have been much better about sketching out ideas and I'm learning the hard way to write something down with the sketch:  A picture may be worth a thousand words, but sometimes I can't figure out the way I intended to do the thing I sketched!

These new beads came out of experimenting with coiling.  They are rough, for sure, but I was feeling some of my stuff be a bit 'tidied up' looking for my taste.  I guess I mean rough with intent, as in, the piece looks better that way.  I haven't quite named them yet as they have elements of fish, wood and figurative styling, but the plain old word 'plank' leaps to mind because of the way they look like wood.  Can any one suggest something else?  I have such trouble with names.



The other thing I like is that they interlock when you string them - turn them 90 degrees and their little fins interlock.  I can see lots of possibilities for this as they evolve.  Perhaps by added curvature into the body of the bead I could make bracelets.  And Shannon, a few of these are coming your way...



I've also been having fun with adding jewel dots to my striped beads and then untidying them by painting over them (aging them...).  Hands in the paint pot again, what can I say?  These were picked by Lorelei Eurto as part of a blog she did for the Art Bead Scene blog - here!  Thanks Lorelei!  She has a great blog herself and you can find it in my list of blogs to the right.  They sold fairly instantly and I'll be making more for sure, and variations, because I can't not do variations.  You know...


The summer weather here has vanished and early spring  (complete with snow flurries) has returned!  Nice to be inside blogging...

7 comments:

Genevieve said...

Your beads are just...magical! The ones that interlock, at first glance, reminded of of skate eggs that we we find on the beach, just technicolor instead of black.

Claire Maunsell said...

Wish I could see a picture - maybe I saw one as a child and it has surfaced like your egg casings. But one must remember, nature usually does it best - sigh.

artybecca said...

Genevieve is right...they look like skate egg cases. Here's photo:
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/03mountains/logs/jul17/media/eggcase_600.jpg

Anonymous said...

How about plank fish for a name? Related to plankton of course.

Christine Damm said...

You've given me some great ideas about interlocking! Our styles are so different that it would be fun to string some of yours with some of mine! I'll have to put in my order..... Just love your stuff!

Arlene Harrison said...

I could be wrong, but from the pictures, the beads look kind-of like pillow beads except longer. Because they are longer, they make me think of body pillows -- you know, those long, thin pillows that are almost as long as you are! Regardless, they are fabulous. I particularly like the ones with the dots!

missficklemedia.com said...

I'm so glad everyone is healthy again!

I LOVE my beads! Love em, Love em, Love em! I like that they are planks but I'm going to look up the skate eggs....

Thank you, Claire! It means so much to me to have some of your wonderful work!